March 15, 2013
Image courtesy of Smartmeals.Wordpress.com
Kids love chicken nuggets and chicken tenders, but the kind you buy frozen or get at a restaurant are unhealthy and even dangerous.
Some brands on the market that are better than others and may be made with organic chicken, but they're still typically breaded with wheat breadcrumbs.
Many of the "healthy", grain-free/gluten-free recipes result in a less-than-exciting taste, have breading that just won't stay on, and lack the crispy, crunchy texture kids love. These are so tasty that you could easily bring them to your next neighborhood potluck or barbecue. (Plus, you can feel great about this grainless, gluten-free, highly nutritious chicken recipe.)
I have experimented with a lot of recipes and finally found one that passes the test. I tried multiple ingredients and convoluted recipes and ended up with one that is just three ingredients (five, if you count salt and pepper) and is fabulous.
- 1 lb organic chicken tenders or chicken breasts, pounded thin.
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil Vegenaise. (This brand is readily available and has a purple top. There are other versions that use canola oil, which we do NOT recommend.)
- 1 cup almond flour.
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Dredge in Vegenaise and then in almond flour.
- Place in a glass baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 – 40 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken.
- Make a lemon butter sauce for a "piccata" style dish
- Make the chicken into chicken parmesan by adding organic spaghetti sauce and mozzerella
Looking for more recipe ideas?
Try some of these other Core and Advanced Plan approved organic chicken recipes.
comments powered by